Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tuesday's Overlooked Films: Philadelphia City Archival Films


This week for Tuesday's Overlooked, I present a small selection of films recently posted to YouTube by the city of Philadelphia's Department of Records. These films were produced by various city agencies and feature footage and promotion for the city dating back to the 1950s and up.

As a proud Philadelphian (even though I now live across the Delaware River in New Jersey), I'm thrilled to see these films unearthed. They are a window to the past of a city that's always been underappreciated. I once featured a tourism film before, and today's post is in that tradition. It always to amazing to me to see how much the city has changed since the times of these films.

Even if you're not from the area, I think one can appreciate seeing big city America the way it used to be compared to now. The films below, which vary in quality (the third has no audio), are just a sampling of what's available. To see the full current selection, you can visit the YouTube channel here.

Enjoy!


No comments: