Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tuesday's Overlooked: John Pinette, 1964-2014


For this week's Tuesday's Overlooked, I look at comedian John Pinette, who died this weekend at the age of 50.

I've mentioned Pinette on the blog several times before, as he was one of my favorite comedians the past few years. He didn't perform biting social commentary like George Carlin, or do political satire like John Stewart or Stephen Colbert, or anything high concept. His comedy was mostly about himself and his obvious weight issues. I enjoyed and admired his work simply because it made me laugh out loud every time. Anyone who can do that to me on a regular basis leaves an impact on me.

I had the pleasure of seeing Pinette perform in person back in 2011, and it was a night I still think about and laugh about today. Now I'm saddened to know that I won't get another opportunity to do so. Pinette had his problems to be sure; besides his weight, he spent time in rehab last year for painkiller addiction. Still, when thinking about him, all that comes to mind is his ability to make me laugh until I cried.

Here are some clips that showcase his humor. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Thanks!


No comments: