Monday, December 10, 2012

Tuesday's Forgotten TV: A Pinky and the Brain Christmas


YES!

This week's Forgotten TV is the 1995 special A Pinky and the Brain Christmas. In traditional P & The B style, the duo plot to take over the world, this time on Christmas Eve via a doll invented by Brain. They trek to the North Pole to trick Santa and his elves to create enough of the mind-controlling dolls to enslave the world's children. All the while, Pinky works on his letter to Santa, much to Brain's annoyance. However, that letter turns out to be a key component in the special's resolution.

I admit that the special isn't exactly on par with the classics such as Charlie Brown and Rudolph, but the ending is so great--and unexpectedly touching--that it's well worth an annual viewing. I was in college when this first aired, and I remember my jaw dropping at how things played out.

Enjoy--NARF!

3 comments:

FilmFather said...

I just heard yesterday that Rusty Mills, one of the lead animators on Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs, has died at age 49 from colon cancer. So sad.

New reviews at FilmFather: Gummibar: The Yummy Gummy Search for Santa and Elf-Man
Follow me on Twitter

Todd Mason said...

49...that's Way too close to 48. Sorry to read it.

The only WB network cartoon to get a primetime workout, as I recall...

Phillyradiogeek said...

FF: that is sad, but he leaves some great animation behind him.

Todd: I think you're correct. Fox tried Batman: The Animated Series in a primetime slot for a time, but at Sunday nights at 7, which is not a good hour due to sports overruns. I wish they tried it in a more friendly slot; it could have been a success if marketed properly.