Friday, October 26, 2012

Film Classic Halloween Re-released in Theaters


Holy schnikeys! The last full week of the Countdown to Halloween is almost over! I feel like we just started yesterday. Let's make the most of what time we have left by revisiting one of the true all-time holiday classics.

In case you don't know, the original version of Halloween is being re-released in theaters for a very limited time. It opened last night and continues through Halloween night. Theaters and screen times vary, so check the official re-release Web site for a theater and showtimes near you.

I've never seen a horror film in a theater before, so I don't know what the experience is like. I can't make it to the screening in my area, but if I could go back in time and see the film in a theater when it was first released in 1978, it probably would have gone something like this. This is a clip of the climax of the film with audio recorded on a tape recorder and dubbed over the movie to recreate the audience reaction. There really is a distinct difference between seeing a horror movie in a theater with other people and seeing it at home by yourself.




The making of the film is a fascinating one; here in its entirety is the documentary Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest, which explains how the film came to be.




Finally, here is an animatic (an animated storyboard for a movie) created by an aspiring filmmaker featuring his vision of the opening sequence of a new version of the movie should he be fortunate to make one. Very different from the John Carpenter and Rob Zombie versions, and well done!




Thanks!

4 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Post full of awesome! I checked that site daily, hoping a theater near me would be showing my all-time favorite film. Finally, I did find one and my wife and I have tickets for next week! CANNOT wait!

Love that Halloween remake thing, it is great!

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Joe! Hope you two have a great time :)

Yes, the remake animatic was really cool. It was less than 10 minutes, but in that short time the creators made you care about the two characters.

Todd Mason said...

Wow, Brian...well, the little ones, if they dig horror, will want you along in their first adventures in cinema, as well. I had my first theatrical horror film, on my own after my mother vetted the first several minutes of it with me, when I was six or seven (in those days of less fear of child-snatching). Now if only I could ever remember the title of that vampire film from ca. 1970.

Bill Crider wants you to know about this, if you didn't:
http://www.flavorwire.com/339579/10-classic-halloween-cartoons-you-can-watch-right-now?all=1

Phillyradiogeek said...

I don't think I'll be seeing a horror film in the thee-ater anytime soon.

I will be checking out Crider's links, however...