Monday, January 23, 2012

Tuesday's Forgotten Film: Memoirs of An Invisible Man



This week's Forgotten Film is one I really enjoyed when it was released in 1992 but didn't seem to connect with audiences. It's the John Carpenter-directed Chevy Chase vehicle Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

Chase plays Nick Halloway, a stock analyst who is turned invisible while napping in a building that experiences a scientific experiment gone awry. Halloway captures the attention of an unscrupulous CIA agent (Sam Neill) who wishes to use him as a spy, even if he has to coerce Halloway into the job. Halloway spends the film fleeing from the agent while searching for a cure for his invisiblility.  There is also a subplot involving Halloway and love interest Alice, played by Daryl Hannah.

The film is a mix of comedy and action with amazing special effects. Detractors of Chase won't likely be won over by his performance here, but I found him more than competent in the role.

The movie is based on a 1987 novel of the same name by author H.F. Saint, which is held in fairly high regard. Saint is a literary one hit wonder--this is the only book he's written.

Here is the film's trailer. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Great choice - it can;t be 20 years ago, it can't ... I saw this when it came out when i was still at university! Although I liked it quite a bit I have never actually sat down to watch the whole thing again. Apparently the idea was to make it into a broader comedy more in keeping with Chase's usual style with Ivan Reitman directing and with a script by PRINCESS BRIDE author William Goldman (who still gets a credit for his earlier drafts) - in the end Chase wanted something a bit more dramatic to play. Shame it didn't do better as I think Chase does it quite well.

Phillyradiogeek said...

I thought Chase was fine as well, and the effects were spectacular.

I'd like to read the novel, I'll give my library a try.